Thursday, December 20, 2012


End of the Week Review: 

Oh my lah. What a wonderful weekend I had. Some of the former Link Year students came to visit this past weekend and it was just fantastic. We got to see the friendships that had been formed and were still going strong. They encouraged us in so many ways and it was such a blessing to have them here. So, after saying all of that, I just knew this week was going to be great, but definitely going to fly by. Starting Monday morning, the Link Year class of 2013 rented out the iMax and got to see the Hobbit in 3D. How fantastic, right? 
Tuesday morning came bright and early, but it was such a thrill to wake up knowing that DA Horton was going to be speaking to us. He had 3 main topics that he spoke on. The first session was on Heart Transformation which he taught in Romans 12:1-2. The bullet points to this sessions were: Review of Sin and Salvation (Romans 1-11), Response to Sin and Salvation (Romans 12:1a), Reporting for Sacrificial Service (Romans 12:1b), and Renewed like Silver (Romans 12:2). My favorite thing that he did was when he walked through each word or phrase in a verse and explain exactly what it meant. I’m a history girl, so hearing background information and knowing things in-between the lines really hits home with me. In Romans it says to not be conformed to the image of this world, the Lord is telling us to be spiritually fit. Stop partaking in the things of this world. Do not be like a Sprite bottle filled with water. Make your label match your inside. Rock the label of Scripture. Next, he talked about what it looks like to have a Heart Transformation in which he referenced Psalm 51:1-12. My favorite thing he said in this session was that our heart should be a home. It should have someone move in and stay there permanently. Is your heart a home or a hotel for Christ? Is He living there, or just staying there for the night? If it is a home, He can do to it what He wishes. If it is a hotel, then He can not fix it how He wants it, or renew it the way it needs to look. Do not let the world make changed to His heart. Let Him make it a home. 
The third session started Wednesday morning when DA spoke on Maximizing Moments, Ephesians 5:15-21. This shows us what wise and unwise living looks like. How to waste no time. How to work to know God’s will, and walk Spirit filled. There is evidence of spirit filled or not spirit filled just like there is evidence of someone being drunk. Joy, thankfulness, and submission are all examples of being spirit filled. Grumbling and complaining are examples of showing that you are not Spirit filled. Naturally DA Horton has by far been the best speaker that Donyes has brought in and it was such a blessing and an honor to hear from such a Godly, wisdom-filled man. 
Thursday was also a glorious day spent with Darrell Shemwell and in his session we talked about God’s sovereignty. The first thing he asks us to do is write down our definition of God’s sovereignty in which I said: Sovereignty is His authority or supreme power. His sovereignty rules over us like it says in Psalm 103:19, “The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, and His sovereignty rules over all.” This really just set up for all that Darrell had to share with us and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, Thursday night, tonight, I got to attend a question and answer session with Darrell. I learned how knowledgeable he was, and it was also a blessing to hear from him. 
Overall, I can truly say that this week has been one of my favorite weeks at Link Year. The Lord has blessed me with great friendship and great mentors that I would not trade for the world. Tomorrow I leave for Christmas break and I am so sad that I have to leave my family and return to temptation, but it is for sure going to be a test to see how Satan will try to kill, steal, and destroy me, but I know that the Lord reigns overall and that He is on my side. I have no doubt that these next few weeks are going to be hard, but I know through prayer and Scripture that the Lord will prevail and be with me!!

Family Dinner: Christmas dinner in the dining hall
The Fort: Adam Martin on Proverbs 14. Also candlelight service 


No comments:

Post a Comment